Dragons Guild Forum Index
ProgressDKPRegisterSearchMemberlistGames OnlineUsergroupsLog in
Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal
Tik
Officer

Post Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal Reply with quote

Originally Posted by Kaivax (Source)
With 4.2, we’re introducing the new World of Warcraft Dungeon Journal. The feature is currently deep in development, so while we don't have anything to show off just yet, we’ve put together a FAQ with a bit of information. Please enjoy!

Q: What is the Dungeon Journal?

A: The Dungeon Journal is a new piece of UI in World of Warcraft that players can use to find out more about specific dungeons, and the bosses within those dungeons, including what abilities they have and the rewards they offer.

Q: How will I access it?

A: While in a dungeon, hitting "M" (the default key for Map) will open the Dungeon Journal. A new button will also be available in the navigation tray. The Dungeon Journal can be accessed from anywhere - in a dungeon, in a raid, on a boat, etc.

Q: Will I have to experience a dungeon or encounter in order to see the associated Dungeon Journal content?

A: There won’t be any "gating" or limitations placed on what content a player can see in the Dungeon Journal. All boss/dungeon/raid information will be available to all players regardless of level, gear, or content experience.

Q: What will it show me?

A: The dungeon/raid map will display the locations of each boss in their respective locations, marked by unique icons.
Players can access boss information by clicking on boss icons on the map, or by clicking on the boss’ name in the associated tab of the dungeon/raid map page.

General loot information for the dungeon/raid can also be accessed from the dungeon/raid main page by clicking on the Loot tab. This will show all loot dropped - from bosses and trash - in the instance, of a certain quality.

Boss abilities will be available via the boss’ page, either by clicking on the map or by going through the Dungeon tab. The Dungeon tab on the boss’ page will list out all major spells, abilities, and phases for that fight.

Q: Are the descriptions going to be simplified or detailed?

A: Descriptions will be verbose and complete. Our goal is to give a lot of context to the abilities in terms of how they’ll play out; however, we will not be giving any strategy tips in the Dungeon Journal. For example, while the Dungeon Journal might say something like "This ability will cause all players in the affected area to take damage," it won’t say anything explicit like "All players except the tank should stand behind the boss during his Shield phase."

Q: Will this include adds?

A: Yes. If a boss has adds, like Ascendant Council or Erudaxx, their abilities will be listed, too.

Q: What bosses will be included in 4.2?

A: That's still being determined. We want to include as many as possible and add more as we go along. We'll provide additional information on availability as we progress through the Public Test Realm process.

We'll provide a more comprehensive look at the Dungeon Journal, including the interface and examples of the information it provides, as we move closer to the release of 4.2. Have fun storming the castle!

Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Trikilo

Post Reply with quote
.... Will someone play the game for me soon?

[23:35] Kris:
I'll make it very appealing
Don't worry Brohan
Kris got yo' back
Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tik
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Worse, soon somebody will make sex too for you...
Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Trikilo

Post Reply with quote
O M G... wait.. that might actully be nice Razz

may i pick who? Razz

Don't worry Brohan
Kris got yo' back
Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tik
Officer

Post Reply with quote
The problem is you can't pick with who:p
Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dys
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Is just wowhead added into the wow client. Is a good idea.

Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
FileCop

Post Reply with quote
I agree. This will just save the first few wipes finding out what the abilities do. And will remove some of the speculation about whether or not an ability is causing a wipe for doing something we don't know or we just fail avoiding it.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tik
Officer

Post Reply with quote
I like it a bit too, becuse is bloody impossible to remember all abilities in this game for each boss...
Wed May 04, 2011 9:08 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FileCop

Post Reply with quote
In a way they might as well make wow opensource, as it seems most of their "new" ideas are inspired from the wide community

Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 am View user's profile Send private message
Esseni

Post Reply with quote
I was a bit meh at first but reading into it a bit more I like it its just a glorified atlas loot with better things on it aka boss ability's and such
Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Trikilo

Post Reply with quote
no.. just no... why don't you just get someone to play it for u aswell!!!

Don't worry Brohan
Kris got yo' back
Wed May 04, 2011 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Dys
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Really Trik? You've never looked up a boss ability on wowhead?
Because frankly the only way to know what things do for sure is to find their link, and all this is, is a catalogue of links.
You've never searched for a drop you need to find out what boss it comes from? Never used thottbot, never used wowwiki?

Because if so, that's a problem.

Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Anarki
Guild Master

Post Reply with quote
ye i would love an option like this ingame.

noticed with while practicing some heroic modes, not alot of info is always available on bosseson the net, what's the cooldown on this ability, what's the exact tooltip to find out how it works?

basicly ur dependant on wowhead, which is sometimes a bit crap, u look up an ability and it has 20 version, which one is used in the encounter?

means ur pretty much dependant on guides, and those are often outdated.

So if they implement a system that is well updated, and accurate, would love it.

Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Anarki
Guild Master

Post Reply with quote
and what might be even better about this all. This will give a simple overview about abilities, not tactics. Alot of the time people seen one movie or readed one strategy, and then decide THAT is the way to do it, nothing else. Even tho the specific raidcombo we bring highly favours another approach.

It will also cause people to understand fights and why we do certain things, instead of just going from point A to B, because someone told em to do so.

Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dys
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Thing about wowhead is, it's basically built on datamining and guesswork. Blizzard don't give out the information you find there.

They know exactly how each boss works, so information direct from the game has to be superior to the hacked together databases we needed to use in the past.

And ye, a large number of the additions to the game since the beginning of wrath have been copies of the most popular mods. You have threat meters, you have equipment manager, quest helper, loads of other things I can't remember right now. It's not a bad thing that they look at what people use and make it easier, and better.

Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: