Dragons Guild Forum Index
ProgressDKPRegisterSearchMemberlistGames OnlineUsergroupsLog in
Installing patch faster and making wow take less spec on HDD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
Installing patch faster and making wow take less spec on HDD
bielan
Officer

Post Installing patch faster and making wow take less spec on HDD Reply with quote
Ok. I had this problem on my work comp.

1. The WOW installation was taking 13 GB of hdd, patch another 5.3 hdd. Was 18GB total.

2. I freed 10GB of HDD for installing patch, but everytime i tried installer was using all this 10GB and crushing the installation.

3. I got fricking pissed at this point!. So I deleted Wow completely, everything, game, patch. My HDD had 30GB again.

4. I logged on battle.net and downloaded game client installer, updated to 4.0.1 already.

5. I started installing and......BUM. The installer downloaded and installed 10GB of data in 10 minuntes!!! They must have some server priority for ppl dling full client. Seriously. It downloaded and installed in 10 minutes!!!

6. After this new launcher started with only 60 Mb to download to make it playable. (After this still 10GB more - but hey, you can play while you wait for the rest - is a bargain!)

Do yourself a favor and uninstall wow and install it again.

Hunter
Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Splintered

Post Reply with quote
May do it next time im at 90% now! lol should be on for raid later i hope Very Happy
Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Cowgoesblub

Post Reply with quote
or...

just have more diskspace... 30gb left is just fail...

and

background downloader ftw!!

A warrior is kinda like a blender. You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
=========
i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
=========
"Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."
Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
bielan
Officer

Post Reply with quote
my total GB on this comp is 40. But its not the case.

Even applying patch yesterday on my main comp too longer (40min +) then completely reinstalling wow today, with 4.0.1 included. Let me repeat - it took 10min total, already patched.

Im gonna do the same at home anyway, all those 3.x.x patches made a mess on my hdd. Making a clean install for 4.0.1 and Cata is a good idea, cant argue with that.

Hunter
Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
Splintered

Post Reply with quote
Not sure why i didnt have background downloader tbh never turned it off D: Tho its given me a chance to look at some patch videos on how op pvp resto druids are!
Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Ishmur

Post Reply with quote
I don't know about you Splint, but the automatic Blizz Downloader (the one that "downloads" when you start the game) doesn't work for me. It just doesn't download anything. Next time start it manually from your WoW folder, should work Smile
Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Cowgoesblub

Post Reply with quote
Ishmur wrote:
I don't know about you Splint, but the automatic Blizz Downloader (the one that "downloads" when you start the game) doesn't work for me.

It starts downloading after you STOP playing, that way you won't have 98493834987434 latency

A warrior is kinda like a blender. You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
=========
i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
=========
"Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."
Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Splintered

Post Reply with quote
Lol i hate blizz i download the patch for 5gbs and when it patches through OH LEWK ANOTHER 2 GB TO DOWNLOAD -.-
Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Ishmur

Post Reply with quote
Cowgoesblub wrote:
Ishmur wrote:
I don't know about you Splint, but the automatic Blizz Downloader (the one that "downloads" when you start the game) doesn't work for me.

It starts downloading after you STOP playing, that way you won't have 98493834987434 latency

Doesn't work for me either. Just stuck at 'checking' part. Even when I left my pc on for few hours.
Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Anarki
Guild Master

Post Reply with quote
i just tried what biel said on my laptop, end seriously this is going fast. Not sure how big the files are I download, but it's just a matter of minutes, and i dont have very fast internet or anything.

prolly very good compressed files, very fast instalation also.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 am View user's profile Send private message
bielan
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Anarki wrote:
i just tried what biel said on my laptop, end seriously this is going fast. Not sure how big the files are I download, but it's just a matter of minutes, and i dont have very fast internet or anything.

prolly very good compressed files, very fast instalation also.

I checked - is 10GB of data after its installed on hdd. Maybe is compressed well idd but still, its blazing fast installation.

Hunter
Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dys
Officer

Post Reply with quote
10GB in 10 minutes?

1GB/m = 16MBps I think, or 128Mbps?

About twice as fast as my connection is capable of, 700Kbps is a good speed for me.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
bielan
Officer

Post Reply with quote
I tried it now at home - reinstalled wow completely.

So i downloaded 401 installer - 30Mb.

I started installing at 23:14.

Installation finished - 23:18.

Wow directory on disc after installation - 10.5 GB.

So yes, wow installer is absolutely awsome.

Hunter
Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dys
Officer

Post Reply with quote
Sounds like alien abduction to me.
I had the installer running on a separate pc over the weekend. It was on for several hours and didn't get to 50%

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Showel

Post Reply with quote
You must have had it already downloaded in your wow folder Biel, it sounds too good to be true Confused
Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: