Dragons Guild Forum Index
ProgressDKPRegisterSearchMemberlistGames OnlineUsergroupsLog in
Wow never looked so ugly - Graphics card advice sought pleas

Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
Wow never looked so ugly - Graphics card advice sought pleas
blakpawn

Post Wow never looked so ugly - Graphics card advice sought pleas Reply with quote
Hi folks, my graphics card [nvidia 6800 ultra] gave up the ghost this am Sad
Temporarily Ive running a Radeon 9550 with only 256 MB Ram, and all I can really say is yuck.
Im a bit out of touch on the latest in these cards, so I wondered if someone could recommend 1 please of similar or better abilities to my 6800? Needs to have a dvi connector and support dx9 shaders etc.
Annoyingly it must be AGP, I'm running an AMD FX-53 and the motherboard doesnt have a pci-express slot [no Im not replacing the motherboard].
Many thanks, blak.

ps im no fanboy, either ati or nvidia is fine by me.
Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
morph

Post Reply with quote
Gainward BLISS 7800GS AGP 512mb Golden Sample+ DDT
Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Pies

Post Reply with quote
You really ought to replace the mobo though.. it may cost a little more, but you get better gfx cards for less money then.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blakpawn

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies folks.

That gainward is 260 english pounds! But nice for it.

Yes ideally I would like a pci express mobo but last time i changed mobo I had to change the ram and the processor and the processor fan, windows changes were a real nightmare too, in the end a new pc would have been cheaper.

Im tied up tomorrow but hopefully this will get sorted towards the end of the week.

Thanks again, Blak.
Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Holygareth

Post Reply with quote
Best AGP Card For Under £90 / €100: Tie
Radeon X700
Geforce 6600

Best Agp Card For ~£120 / €190
Radeon X850 PRO

Best AGP Card For ~£140 / €200
Geforce 7600 GT

Best AGP Card For +£160 / €220: None
The reason this AGP price segment is listed as 'NONE' is because the Radeon X1950 PRO for AGP hasn't arrived to market yet. Once it does - hopefully in November - this situation will change quickly, as the X1950 PRO is a powerful and reasonably priced card that will make AGP gaming viable for at least a year or two more.

Until the X1950 PRO arrives, it's safe to say that the fastest AGP card available for the money is the 7800 GS*, but it is very difficult to recommend at over £220 / €260 because at stock clock speeds it performs similarly to the lower priced Geforce 7600 GT.

*The Gainward BLISS+ 7800 GS, which is actually a 7900 GT, is also a fast AGP card on par with the X1950 PRO. It is far more expensive and can only be purchased in Europe, however.

With this in mind, if you have the money to spend on an AGP card, you may be much better off purchasing a PCI-express motherboard, CPU and PCI-express video card.
Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Daemonicus

Post Reply with quote
Go for the 7600GT or 7800GS, best buy for AGP Wink
Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
lillyth

Post Reply with quote
blakpawn wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks.

That gainward is 260 english pounds! But nice for it.

Yes ideally I would like a pci express mobo but last time i changed mobo I had to change the ram and the processor and the processor fan, windows changes were a real nightmare too, in the end a new pc would have been cheaper.

Im tied up tomorrow but hopefully this will get sorted towards the end of the week.

Thanks again, Blak.

Windows only needs to be reinstalled if the south & northbridge chipsets (& cpu of course) have changed from the ones that were in place before hand. Therefore if you change from an nvidia nforce 1/2/3 to an nvidia nforce 4 board then you only need to run windows in safe mode and upgrade the chipset to nforce4 etc. But changing from one chispet type to another means having to reset all the drivers of windows.

But if you go from a VIA board to nForce then yes windows has to be reinstalled
Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: