Dragons Guild Forum Index
ProgressDKPRegisterSearchMemberlistGames OnlineUsergroupsLog in
my new raid build :D

Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
my new raid build :D
baylin

Post my new raid build :D Reply with quote
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Rf0ycobqhZVA0coczo

i respecced to this before we started MC, and i aint looked back since

anyone else respecced for raiding?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Zaarlus

Post Reply with quote
I respecced when we were farming set pieces from Strat/Scholo because we could never find a mage and we needed some decent AOE. I haven't changed it since then though, I'm tempted to get a bit more destruction but I think I'd be out of mana 30 seconds into the fight. Though after being out-dps'ed by Tik last night against Hexxer, maybe I could do with a few more points in destruction.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Jaella

Post Reply with quote
Zaar, you weren't out dps-ed by the tanks. Damagemeters is a useful add-on but with one major downside: it only registers damage done by party/raidmembers closeby. If a hunter or other ranged is standing to far from the person who is running damagemeters the damage he does will not be counted. To get the best numbers there is a synchronize feature on the addon so if say 3 ppl have damagemeters (i.e. 1 melee, 1 ranged and one random) after the fight they can one can syncronize and report.
Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Zaarlus

Post Reply with quote
Yeah I know, I wasn't really being serious. Smile

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morinehtar

Post Reply with quote
Hey Miagi and the other Dragons!
Sniffing around a bit on your forums here Razz.

But I looked at the spec you posted, and... you spend 6 points to get 10% mana? (Arcane Resilience is useless) It only gives very little if you already have a small mana pool, and if you have a big mana pool you don't really need it to be bigger.
I would say then get Arcane Meditation, 15% regen during casting, is much better, because it helps you more on long fights, and in the end, that is where you mostly need that bigger mana pool or higher regen. It will even help nicely if you have very little spirit, but now that you would have a nice 45% of the regen from spirit even during casting, you could make the choice to go for more spirit gear.

Arctic Reach I would also recommend, being able to stand way out of range is great, and this talent can be the difference between getting AoE'd damage or AoE feared like crazy, or not at all. Also makes for easier kiting/soloing of mobs, because the extra distances gives you more time Smile.

Completing the Magic Absorption and putting 1 in Magic Attunement (I rarely run around without having my dampen magic on and there is not much else useful) would change that into this build:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Rf0Es0fohZVA0cofz

Or if you still like Arcane Mind a lot more then I do:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=of0y0ofahZVA0cofz
(It's not like +6% crits on AE is that much and it's only for very specific cases, in MC and higher you'll mostly AoE with Blizzard...)

See you in game,

Morinehtar
Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:30 pm
Miagi

Post Reply with quote
first of all, rofl at morin stalking me to my forum Very Happy

second, thanks mate, after i get a bit of this new "decay" feature to cost of respec, i may try that, personally i havent gone oom in MC on a boss yet, so i wasnt sure of the regen.

i really miss my elemental build tho, fancy posting yours? see what its like
Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morinehtar

Post Reply with quote
This is what I currently use: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=kZVgMzbcuZVAM0oft.
But it's not optimal. The three points in Critical Mass should have been in Piercing Ice Sad. Frost is much more important, even tho my most damage comes from fire in PvP, raiding is more important.

If you want I can spam a big post here I made for our own mage forums, giving 3 or 4 raiding builds and explaining them. Also has a leveling build and fire build for people who want those ^^.
Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:23 pm
Jaella

Post Reply with quote
Mori, i am defo interested in the big post with some example builds for my alt:)
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Miagi

Post Reply with quote
Jaella wrote:
Mori, i am defo interested in the big post with some example builds for my alt:)

noooo, no alt, your my priest !!!!

/cry
/weep
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morinehtar

Post Reply with quote
Let's hope your forums support all the same code Razz.

Level 60 builds by Morinehtar.
In order of which I think is best for raiding. (aa/bb/cc) means how many points they have in (arcane/fire/frost).

#1: Frost mage, with mana-saving arcane talents (20/0/31):
Build link
This build has the frost talents for optimal frost damage and has the rest of the points in mana-saving talents from Arcane which will help you to keep casting much longer before you run out of mana. Improved Counterspell is useful for pulling caster mobs, for example in Stratholm.
I would say this is the best build for raiding.

#2: Full frost mage build (3/0/48 ):
Build link
This is an almost pure frost build. It has the important frost talents for raiding, as well as a few extra frost talents, such as Frostbite, Shatter, Improved Cone of Cold & BLizzard and Permafrost. Excellent crowd control and kiting is possible. This build is nice for raiding. However, no added mana conservation.

#3: Elementalist: Shatter build (0/21/30):
Build link.
This build has most of the important frost talents for raiding, but also a strong fire side and great AoE damage. Also works well for PvP. Master of Elements can be a nice mana-saver in certain cases (when casting on frozen mobs with Shatter, or on mobs on which frost mages have procced Winter's Chill) Not the perfect raiding spec, because it lacks Winter's Chill which is quite important. It also doesn't have Ice Barrier, which can often save your life.

Extra: Fire PvE builds
If you would like to try fire for PvE, this will be a good build to use:
Build link.
Fire usually does some more damage then frost. The downsides are less safety (no Iceblock, no Ice Barrier), and less mana effiecient, so you run out of mana faster (so maybe in the end the same or less damage compared to frost build on long fights). Also not very much crowd control.

Not recommended:
Arcane Power Frost build.
Build link. Arcane Power version (31/0/20).
This build is also possible, and is a bit in the style of 1.10. I show you this build because some may see it somewhere and thing it's a good build for raiding. But I recommend NOT to take this build for raiding or smaller instances This build goes for the 31-point Arcane talent Arcane Power. "When activated, your spells deal 30% more damage while costing 30% more mana to cast. This effect lasts 15 seconds. Cooldown: 3 minutes". This means once every 3 minutes, you can do more damage in certain time then normal. But because this also costs you extra mana, if you would use this on a boss on average you would still do the same amount of damage on average because you would simply run out of mana quicker. This build also has Presence of Mind, which you can ust to instant cast a spell like Frostbolt every 3 minutes. Again, you do more damage in a shorter time, but at the same mana cost. In PvE, this would all mean a much bigger chance to pull aggro without doing more damage in the end. This build also lacks Winter's Chill, and does not have Ice Barrier or Iceblock for safety! The place where great damage in a short time is most useful is [u]for PvP[/b]. But you won't have Iceblock and Ice Barrier there with this build... You can drop Arcane Power to get Iceblock, but then the biggest advantage of this build is Arcane Stability, 3% more spell damage and criticals, but compared to build #1 this is not worth it in my opinion, Ice Barrier and Winter's Chill would be much better to have for raids, as well as most other places.

Talents while leveling.
For leveling, going for fire is usually recommended. This is because the damage is higher then frost, and at these levels it's mostly about killing something faster to get the exp faster, and you should not have much problems staying alive.

You could spend your talents like this during leveling:
Level 10-14: Spend your points on Improved Fireball.
Level 15-19: Get Ignite for more damage.
Level 20-24: Get Impact to slow down mobs while you attack them from a distance. Get this after Impact, because you only get Scorch (fast cast, so more often stunned) at level 22.
Get Ignite for more damage and Impact to slow down the mobs before year
Level 25-28: Get Flamethrowing for more range, so you have more time to kill mobs before they reach you. Get Incinerate for more damage on Fireblast/Scorch. (My usual casting would be Fireball-Fireball-Fireblast-Fireball-Fireball-Fireblast, etc).
Level 29 and higher:
You'll probably have a pretty good idea of how a mage works now.
Get these in the order you like most: Burning Soul, Master of Elements, Critical Mass, Firepower, Pyroblast (good opener), Blastwave. After this you will be level 43, or level 44 if you get Combustion too.
From here you could start building up some Arcane points for mana conservation, or respec and start working towards the build you will be using at level 60.
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:19 pm
Miagi

Post Reply with quote
omg spam!!

/shoo mori

walls of text scare me, will read it later, when im tired Smile
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morinehtar

Post Reply with quote
Jaella wrote:

Well, for the lower levels I just posted one example, the most common one, but it works well. From a certain point you can start working towards on of the raiding specs of course Smile.

It used to be this huge post with a lot of possible builds, but I make it more easy to read and use, just posting the best or most common ones.
Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:22 pm
Jaella

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info!
And Yagi no worries, Jae is my first roll and main role:)
Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: