Dragons Guild Forum Index
ProgressDKPRegisterSearchMemberlistGames OnlineUsergroupsLog in
Advice on new sputer

Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions View previous topic
View next topic
Advice on new sputer
Zaarlus

Post Advice on new sputer Reply with quote
I've decided that it might finally be time to get rid of my trusty old computer that overheats in the summer and randomly reboots in the winter, for a bigger and better one. I'm a bit out of touch with all this computer stuff these days so I was hoping for some advice from some of you experts.

I've gone through a few sites and picked out what I hope will be a reasonable PC, the main components being:

Asustek S775 Intel 975X ATX Audio Lan
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Socket 775 2.4GHz
MSI GeForce 7900GTO 512MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI SLI HDR
Crucial CT2KIT12864AA667 2x1GB PC2-5300 NonECC CL5

I'm fairly settled on the processor but I don't have much of a clue about video cards or motherboards. I want to get a fairly decent one but don't want to spend obscene amounts of money as I only really use it for WoW and web browsing at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated and also suggestions of anywhere cheaper/better to buy it from (UK based).

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
morph

Post Reply with quote
If you don't change power supply, check if it can sustain you'r new components.
Components are ok.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
node

Post Reply with quote
Sorry for hijacking your thread Zaar, but can anyone explain to me why the CPU Zaar linked is 4 times as expensive as say:
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3RNT&CategorySelectedId=11147&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11147,40110000&InMerch=1

Last time I built a pc was when clock speed was the only important factor (quite a while ago I will admit). Whats changed? Confused
Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Zaarlus

Post Reply with quote
morph wrote:
If you don't change power supply, check if it can sustain you'r new components.
Components are ok.

I'm going to be getting a complete new system, which includes a 650w power supply so it should be ok I think.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
morph

Post Reply with quote
node wrote:
Sorry for hijacking your thread Zaar, but can anyone explain to me why the CPU Zaar linked is 4 times as expensive as say:
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3RNT&CategorySelectedId=11147&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11147,40110000&InMerch=1

New core Conroe (great performance), dual core, 4Mb cache. You can read here about new processor family from intel:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core2duo_e6600/

What you linked it's a joke in comparation with core 2 duo, and if speed in Mhz it is higher, that not mean it's faster;)

Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
Razzamatazz

Post Re: Advice on new sputer Reply with quote
I would suggest maybe getting an nForce motherboard like this (model number GA-8N-SLI if youre interested) if you are also getting an nVidia graphics card; you get unified motherboard and graphics card drivers which can add a lot of customisability (ie overclocking potential) pretty easily. But if you are only going to be using this for WoW then you certainly dont need to overclock.

You should probably make sure you get a case with a fair amount of cooling as well, the graphics card you have chosen is a beast (I have this one and it comes with 3 case fans. Along with your CPU fan and your GPU fan you have a lot of airflow)! For the same reason you should get a quality Power Supply (like this) like Morph suggested as low quality PSUs can give poorly conditioned signals which can burn out your nice new shiny graphics card.

Hope that helps. I am nub.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Dragons Guild Forum Index » WoW Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: